PDA

View Full Version : panel vs sri vs cai

MWAKU
11-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Sorry *EDIT* 99 PRELUDE

Ok search is fkn stupid and i can't find the threads. Dunno what the thread titles are

Okay, atm, i have the normal intake, with the resonator taken out. Sounds deep and good, and yeah, response is, normal.

Had the SRI in there, and response was a a bit better, sound was loud as when hi revs, but not by too much with the reso out from stock.

Now thinking of the CAI, what would it be vs the other 2, by sound and response. response = better, and what about sound..

i quite liked the sound of the POD, the sucking and all, kinda miss it selling the SRI now, but ehhh.

With my stock intake, i just have some panel filter in there, if i replace it with the K&N, how much more louder would it be compared to now with the stock and with a pod.

Funny thing, when i first took out the pod, and put OEM back in, when i turned off the car, it made that, gusssshhh sound, as if it was a pod. doesn't make it anymore :(

So i know that was a long read, but yeah
K&N Panel Filter vs SRI vs CAI (just unkown brand)

not really looking for performance gains, just response, petrol and sound.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
11-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Is this for the Scooner?

Explaining which vehicle this thread is about might help (as different engines float different boats)

trism
11-11-2008, 10:55 PM
replace stock filter with k&n panel filter

get some flexi pipe and run from inside the guar/bumper up to where the resonator use to go into

Riviera
11-11-2008, 11:00 PM
what car have u got dude....

go back to the SRI then make a custom box for it urself...

still get that awesome note that a SRI should have and best response.. being shorter and all...

then just run some pipe up...

you'll get performance in the high revs, response and sound.

g.ta
11-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Go for the CAI,
if you liked the SRI, the CAI is a SRI on steroids..
noise wise, the CAI takes the cake.. they suck like a hoover
you wont get any performance gains with any of them, only throttle response and better pick up in the higher rev range.

But if you wanna play it safe, go with the stock airbox and high flow panel and run a cold air feed to the front bar.

MWAKU
11-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Nah too late, JUST sold the SRI :(

what car have u got dude....

go back to the SRI then make a custom box for it urself...

still get that awesome note that a SRI should have and best response.. being shorter and all...

then just run some pipe up...

you'll get performance in the high revs, response and sound.

Whats the big difference between stock vs the metal pipe?? Does it make a HUGE difference? (99 prelude)
Anyways

replace stock filter with k&n panel filter

get some flexi pipe and run from inside the guar/bumper up to where the resonator use to go into

Yeah i was thinking that, what would the sound be like, performance gains, petrol economy? My box looks like this (from side view)

-------\''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''\
--------\____\. . .\___\

If you get me, the "---" is the pipe and the lines are the box and the " """" " is my panel filter

Anyways, i broke thing off, cause i thought it would allow more air, true? so.. it looks like this now

-------\''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''\
--------\____. . ._____\

and the panel sits on top of the hole sucking the air in.. so from that hole, i should just get some piping to run up from there? wouldn't have to be long would it the new pipe? would a 20-30cm one going straight down from the hole suck enough cold air then if i don't put an extra piping? because the way i see it now, its already getting the cold air that it would be getting from if i put a CAI. Whats your opinion?

trism
11-11-2008, 11:14 PM
yes, from the hole in teh bottom down to the guard

MWAKU
11-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Oh ok.. sigh don't really wanna take off the front bumper again, mission. Still have a screw left over, don't know where its come from lol :( But yeah,probably try get the pipe down there from the hole..hahaha

thanks for info / opinion guys

aaronng
11-11-2008, 11:21 PM
You need to use 4 letters minimum per word to search. So search for cai* and sri*

MWAKU
12-11-2008, 10:36 AM
So now i am thinking, running a k&n panel filter, I'll do the DIY CAI, just run a pipe to some place where air gets in from the front bumper.

Also, what are the advantages with a steel/aluminium pipe vs the stock pipe? any sound advantages/difference?

And lets say if i wanna run a SRI. So I take out the box, and stick a pipe adapting from the OEM pipe, and make it attach to a pod (since the OEM pipe wouldn't be long enough). Would that work as good, as say, running a aftermarket pipe attatched pod.

Also, see how you guys suggest piping for the DIY CAI, and it has those ripples, would that retard the airflow by much or would it be unnoticeable.

Crapdaz
12-11-2008, 12:24 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42865

It is a sticky.

So now i am thinking, running a k&n panel filter, I'll do the DIY CAI, just run a pipe to some place where air gets in from the front bumper.

Also, what are the advantages with a steel/aluminium pipe vs the stock pipe? any sound advantages/difference?

And lets say if i wanna run a SRI. So I take out the box, and stick a pipe adapting from the OEM pipe, and make it attach to a pod (since the OEM pipe wouldn't be long enough). Would that work as good, as say, running a aftermarket pipe attatched pod.

Also, see how you guys suggest piping for the DIY CAI, and it has those ripples, would that retard the airflow by much or would it be unnoticeable.
Aluminium pipe would help dissipate heat faster than a stock rubber pipe.

If you DIY and your piping is dangling you will need to form some sort of bracket to give support so your piping won't fall apart at the couplers.

If you have ripples, you most likely won't fill the difference but on a butt dyno. --> Also most likely depending on how bad the ripples are there may be turbulence.

Hope this brightens your day.

Daz.

rbk_212
12-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Aluminium pipe would help dissipate heat faster than a stock rubber pipe.
Daz.

i thought aluminium pipe absorbed heat better from the surrounding engine than a rubber type pipe, making metal pipes worse

MWAKU
12-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah read that sticky, was more looking for panel filter comparisons :)