PDA

View Full Version : 05 CL9 Knocking Engine

Delta_One
18-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi guys,
Got a 05 Euro. Bought it in March, I just noticed that there is a knocking coming from the engine. It is happening going up hills, flat etc. It seems to go away once I get to 60km/hr +, unless I just can't hear it. I can clearly hear it from the engine when I open the hood.

I'm going to ring the dealer tomorrow to look at the car as soon as they can, should I drive it still? I have no idea how long it has been happening...would they be able to tell if it is bad or 'normal'? It's pretty loud, loud enough to hear it in the back seats... Kinda worried about it..
I have the used car warranty from dealer, will any damage/repairs be covered? or my own expense?

Ken-f
18-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Shivers, that doesn't sound good at all! I'm pretty sure it'd be covered under warranty.

Delta_One
18-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Forgot..It happens when idling as well.

tony1234
18-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Forgot..It happens when idling as well.
It sounds like you need a valve clearance check. 1 or more of the valves may need adjusting.Particularly as it's happening while the engine is idling.

Crapdaz
18-11-2008, 05:49 PM
engine mount?

Accord Basic
19-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Is it like "da da da da" sound? if yes, it may be the valves tapers. it is a gap between the taper and the valves. It may be fixed after changed the engine oil (or thicker oil). I am not 100% sure on Honda Engine. I owned a Ford Laser before and all Ford's have the similar problem. I would suggest to check the engine oil condition immediately. because if it happen while you driving, the valves and tapers will worn out quick. keep your engine rev as low as you can. Thanks

aaronng
19-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Is it like "da da da da" sound? if yes, it may be the valves tapers. it is a gap between the taper and the valves. It may be fixed after changed the engine oil (or thicker oil). I am not 100% sure on Honda Engine. I owned a Ford Laser before and all Ford's have the similar problem. I would suggest to check the engine oil condition immediately. because if it happen while you driving, the valves and tapers will worn out quick. keep your engine rev as low as you can. Thanks
Just do a valve clearance check and adjust. No need for thicker oil.

EuroSteve
19-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Speaking of doing a valve clearance check, is it a pretty straight forward process with the Euro? My 80,000 service is coming up and i've already done everything else (including a few things I probably didn't need to do (changed plugs, MTF, etc), but I haven't done a valve clearance check.

I've got the workshop manual here, doesn't look that difficult?

Cheers,
Steve

tony1234
19-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Speaking of doing a valve clearance check, is it a pretty straight forward process with the Euro? My 80,000 service is coming up and i've already done everything else (including a few things I probably didn't need to do (changed plugs, MTF, etc), but I haven't done a valve clearance check.

I've got the workshop manual here, doesn't look that difficult?

Cheers,
Steve
Valve clearance check is part of 80K service.IMO pay to have it properly done.

Delta_One
20-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the replies, Its going in tomorrow. It just had a 80k service, so they should have done the valve clearance. If not then I hope its nothing major.
Will let ya know what it is.

my_vtec77
20-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Sorry it's a bit of off topics. Just wondering is the valve clearance check compulsory at 80,00 K service? Or can I skip it?

Coz I'm thinking to do my 80,000 service at local mechanics. At Honda, they charge about $500 - 600 and I'm on tight budget at the moment.:(.

But my car running smooth and no problems atm.

Cheers.

aaronng
20-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Sorry it's a bit of off topics. Just wondering is the valve clearance check compulsory at 80,00 K service? Or can I skip it?

Coz I'm thinking to do my 80,000 service at local mechanics. At Honda, they charge about $500 - 600 and I'm on tight budget at the moment.:(.

Cheers.
If there is no diesel sound coming from your engine, then there is nothing to adjust with regards to valve clearance. Of course, you will have to do it eventually.

my_vtec77
20-11-2008, 09:08 PM
If there is no diesel sound coming from your engine, then there is nothing to adjust with regards to valve clearance. Of course, you will have to do it eventually.

Thanks for reply, aaronng. So far I dont hear that kinda sound so it's ok for now. I will do valve clearance on 100K km service.

Cheers.

tony1234
21-11-2008, 06:13 AM

Cheers.
I would do it just to be safe,but that's just me.:D

Delta_One
21-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Just got car back, done the 54month service. They couldn't find anything abnormal, changed the oil, done a fuel injector clean. Everything is working fine now. So pretty relieved :P