PDA

View Full Version : will i need a camber kit?

WAZ-23A
11-12-2008, 10:17 PM
im going to install my ksport coilovers tomorrow on my 4th gen prelude hopefully and buy new rear tyres (215/35/18)
im planning to get the rear as low as possible (tyre fully tucked under atleast)

silly question, but just want to make sure will i need a camber kit, so then i might postpone installation till i buy the camber kit to save on labour.

does the camber kit allow negative camber to happen but not wear out tyres as much as not having a camber kit

wat sort of camber adjustment does the stock setup allow?
can i get the camber a lil bit negative so i clear my guards for sure without a camber kit?

55EXX
12-12-2008, 06:18 AM
what are you worried about tyre wear or getting a bigger tuck in under your guards?

215 35 18 is too skinny from memory to be load rated high enough for preludes. 225 35 18 is the most common.

as long as your offset and rim width arent too wide the rim should tuck itself tho it would be wise to roll your guards.

putthe coilovers in see how low you can go if it doesn't clear wind them back up higher. lower isn't better for handling and you might like the higher setting better. then get your camber kit and try it lower and compare

camber doesn't kill tyres anywhere as near as fast as bad toe. so get a wheel alignment everytime you change the ride hieght. i recommend 0 toe front and 1mm total on the rear

teaseR
12-12-2008, 12:35 PM
215/35/18 is good.
my brother has them and they are fine
hes on kings lowered with no camber kit

FAT VTI
15-12-2008, 11:27 AM
im going to install my ksport coilovers tomorrow on my 4th gen prelude hopefully and buy new rear tyres (215/35/18)
im planning to get the rear as low as possible (tyre fully tucked under atleast)

silly question, but just want to make sure will i need a camber kit, so then i might postpone installation till i buy the camber kit to save on labour.

does the camber kit allow negative camber to happen but not wear out tyres as much as not having a camber kit

wat sort of camber adjustment does the stock setup allow?
can i get the camber a lil bit negative so i clear my guards for sure without a camber kit?

Mate, i reccomend you have a look and see the maximum drop your ksport coilovers will allow for your application (check their website).
If it is only a 3.5inch drop which is pretty common, your 18s will tuck half or so of your 215/35/18. Give or take, as I have an accord, but it wouldnt be much lower.

to be tucking all your tyre, i reckon you'd need at least a 4inch drop from stock. this provides a few problems when it comes to fitting 18inch wheels e.g. rolling guards to let them fit etc.
You do not NEED a camber kit , you can drive without one. HOWEVER your tyres will be munched in about 3months of daily driving if your lucky. You can flip the tyres to prolongue tyre wear, but this will only prolongue them so much. I reccomend you invest in a camber kit probably before you do your install if possible, this will allow you to have your setup without needing to change it later. Also, there have been numerous cases of camber kits scrubbing on tyres when using certain styles of camber kits, this is why you should ensure it all fits.

A camber kit does allow a range of camber depending on the kit. for instance -2.5 to 0.
depending on how low your car is, and if you stick with 18s, you may need (as you said) to have negative camber. Negative camber will unevenly wear your tyres, as said above toe is the main affect, but that should be set to 0 on a wheel alignment and wont affect your tyres much anymore (unless you change ride height and this will affect the toe).

So in answering your question, yes a camber kit can most probably be set to -1. However, any negative (or positive camber for the reason) will unevenly wear your tyres. keep in mind, i have a 3.5inch drop on an accord with -3.5 to -4 camber, so -1 will hardly affect your camber.

Im not familiar with your prelude, but i was under the impression it didnt have a stock camber kit at all. However this is something to research or ask another lude member.

You cannot exactly correct your camber without a camber kit.

215/35/18 will do fine for your application, just be mindful of load rating from stock to your new wheels setup and ensure your tyres are okay (90% will be fine).

55EXX
15-12-2008, 08:15 PM
-1 to -1.5 degrees camber ftmfw

chargeR
16-12-2008, 10:34 AM
-1 to -1.5 degrees camber ftmfw

-5 camber ftw.

To the OP, you could get away without a camber as long as your toe is set to zero tyre wear should be okay. However the significant negative camber will not be doing anything good for your handling or braking so a camber kit might be a good idea. You will probably be bottoming out non stop and have the upper control arm smacking the inner guards too.