PDA

View Full Version : [CU2] What exactly "VOIDS" warrenty.

nesterjester
04-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi there,

I for know there are not too much selection out there in terms for MODS for the new CU2. But just out of curiosity, I was wondering what exactly voids warranty. (i.e wheels, springs, body kit, spoiler, HIDS, etc)

I asked about wheels in another thread, and was told that wheels will not void warranty as long as they are within legal specs (ie tyre + rim = within overall diameter of stock).
So does that mean 19's are good to go?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

yfin
04-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Basically any modification that may contribute to a part failure can void your warranty on that part. If, for example, your 19s are heavier than the stock specification you will run the risk that premature failure (eg of shocks) may void the warranty (on the part that failed). This is common sense. Honda designed the car to run with stock rims. Not 20kg, 19" chromies. When you go outside the Honda specification you run the risk of premature wear.

By modding your car you leave Honda with lots of discretion to refuse a warranty claim. The key is did the mod contribute to the issue? If you fit 19s and your stereo headunit fails then unlikely you will have any issue with a warranty claim on the head unit.

If you fit lowering springs - I would say it is highly unlikely Honda would warrant the suspension components and if they wanted to be difficult maybe even deny warranty on rattles, chassis or subframe issues, etc.

Not sure if that helps you - but you will not get an answer on what "exactly" voids warranty as it depends on the circumstances and it also depends on the discretion of the dealer / Honda.

sodaz
04-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Basically any modification that may contribute to a part failure can void your warranty on that part. If, for example, your 19s are heavier than the stock specification you will run the risk that premature failure (eg of shocks) may void the warranty (on the part that failed). This is common sense. Honda designed the car to run with stock rims. Not 20kg, 19" chromies. When you go outside the Honda specification you run the risk of premature wear.

By modding your car you leave Honda with lots of discretion to refuse a warranty claim. The key is did the mod contribute to the issue? If you fit 19s and your stereo headunit fails then unlikely you will have any issue with a warranty claim on the head unit.

If you fit lowering springs - I would say it is highly unlikely Honda would warrant the suspension components and if they wanted to be difficult maybe even deny warranty on rattles, chassis or subframe issues, etc.

Not sure if that helps you - but you will not get an answer on what "exactly" voids warranty as it depends on the circumstances and it also depends on the discretion of the dealer / Honda.

Yep that's correct. If you lower your car by installing shorter springs then it will most likely damage the stock dampers due to insufficient travel. Honda definitely will not cover that component and possibly other related components too.

nesterjester
05-01-2009, 01:43 PM
thanks for the reply guys ... really clarified things ...

just got to look out for that insurance excess ..!!