PDA

View Full Version : Which oil to use in my Euro 20,000km service

unity
16-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Just wanting to change to a different oil from the Castrol Magnatec the dealer has used in the past.
Which would be the better to use Castrol Edge 0-40 or Castrol Edge 5-30
considering:
I live in Melbourne
Park my car inside an enclosed garage every night.
Manly drive in the suburbs and total about 50-60 kms per day
Drive my car like a granny

shadou
16-03-2009, 06:02 PM
how about errr FEO ???????

unity
16-03-2009, 06:07 PM
how about errr FEO ???????

Dealer has never put that in my car. I thought itwould be mandatory for Honda dealers to use the Honda oil. Otherwise it's not a very good advertisement for their own brand.

Sp00ny
16-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Dealer has never put that in my car. I thought it would be mandatory for Honda dealers to use the Honda oil. Otherwise it's not a very good advertisement for their own brand.

Well the OEM oil is actually refined and bottled by Caltex last I heard. Castrol is a division of BP (British Petroleum) so that is very odd. Bit of conflict of interest there. Wouldn't suprise me though.

To be honest the most cost effective and if it was a simple daily driver, would be to use OEM 'FEO' Oil with OEM Filter. However, I'm very picky with cars/oils so if it was my Euro it was going into; I would use Neo Synthetic Oil with a K&N Oil Filter (designed for use with synthetics). The NEO synthetic oil is a Synthetic Base double ester fluid. One of the best. Not to mention for a Double Ester base it's very competitively priced. You can buy it from www.tuspeed.com.au Always use factory recomended viscosities for an engine with a factory standard head/internals.

unity
17-03-2009, 03:03 AM
Well the OEM oil is actually refined and bottled by Caltex last I heard. Castrol is a division of BP (British Petroleum) so that is very odd. Bit of conflict of interest there. Wouldn't suprise me though.

To be honest the most cost effective and if it was a simple daily driver, would be to use OEM 'FEO' Oil with OEM Filter. However, I'm very picky with cars/oils so if it was my Euro it was going into; I would use Neo Synthetic Oil with a K&N Oil Filter (designed for use with synthetics). The NEO synthetic oil is a Synthetic Base double ester fluid. One of the best. Not to mention for a Double Ester base it's very competitively priced. You can buy it from www.tuspeed.com.au Always use factory recomended viscosities for an engine with a factory standard head/internals.

Thanks for that information. My car runs well on BP petrol so might as well continue using BP oil ie Castrol, but not that magnatec stuff.

tony1234
17-03-2009, 06:25 AM
Thanks for that information. My car runs well on BP petrol so might as well continue using BP oil ie Castrol, but not that magnatec stuff.
Use the Castrol Edge 5W30.Approx.$50.You can get it on sale sometimes at Supercheap for $30-$40.

unity
17-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Use the Castrol Edge 5W30.Approx.$50.You can get it on sale sometimes at Supercheap for $30-$40.

I have booked into a different dealer and they use FEO as stock so might as well give that a go. Will keep an eye on some cheap castrol edge 5w30 over the next few months for the 30,000km service.

tony1234
17-03-2009, 04:37 PM
I have booked into a different dealer and they use FEO as stock so might as well give that a go. Will keep an eye on some cheap castrol edge 5w30 over the next few months for the 30,000km service.
FEO is good but it tends to break down at approx.7-8K if the car is driven a bit on the hard side.If you service your car by distance driven rather than 6 mth.intervals you should be right.

unity
17-03-2009, 07:01 PM
FEO is good but it tends to break down at approx.7-8K if the car is driven a bit on the hard side.If you service your car by distance driven rather than 6 mth.intervals you should be right.

They both fall at about the same time. So would you recommend to get it changed at 3 months / 5000km for another lot of FEO and then go for the full synthetic at the 30,000km service?

Type R Positive
18-03-2009, 12:49 AM
I got my car serviced today, it was it's 20,000km.
Interestingly, the dealer used FEO this time. Last time they used Castrol.

tim-e
18-03-2009, 02:01 AM
And of course, we never drive our cars hard. :angel:

My dealer (Larke Hoskins) has used Castrol each time.

unity
18-03-2009, 05:59 AM
I got my car serviced today, it was it's 20,000km.
Interestingly, the dealer used FEO this time. Last time they used Castrol.

It may be a bit early to tell yet but do you notice any differences? And which oil cost you more?

tony1234
18-03-2009, 06:22 AM
They both fall at about the same time. So would you recommend to get it changed at 3 months / 5000km for another lot of FEO and then go for the full synthetic at the 30,000km service?
Yeah,thats a good way to do it.

Type R Positive
18-03-2009, 08:48 AM
It may be a bit early to tell yet but do you notice any differences? And which oil cost you more?It cost about $37 or something for the FEO, which was about the same as the Castrol. It was this that surprised me to start with, so I asked.
The bloke said yep, genuinely used FEO.

The Albany dealers have just changed hands and moved in the last 2 weeks. Might have something to do with them using FEO.

I had to drive 300kms to get to Albany for the service, and the car was better for sure on the way back.
Seemed to build revs quicker. I don't know if it is just because it was just due for servicing, or the change in oil brand.
The dealer I use uses injector cleaner every servicing too.

I would imagine if the oil weight was the same, you wouldn't notice anything at all.
I can't tell the difference between brands on my dirt bike, only weights.
You can feel slight changes on that thing too.

unity
18-03-2009, 06:49 PM
It cost about $37 or something for the FEO, which was about the same as the Castrol. It was this that surprised me to start with, so I asked.
The bloke said yep, genuinely used FEO.

The Albany dealers have just changed hands and moved in the last 2 weeks. Might have something to do with them using FEO.

I had to drive 300kms to get to Albany for the service, and the car was better for sure on the way back.
Seemed to build revs quicker. I don't know if it is just because it was just due for servicing, or the change in oil brand.
The dealer I use uses injector cleaner every servicing too.

I would imagine if the oil weight was the same, you wouldn't notice anything at all.
I can't tell the difference between brands on my dirt bike, only weights.
You can feel slight changes on that thing too.

That's a good result then if it's due to the oil change. I have my service on Friday so I'll let you know how I go after that.