PDA

View Full Version : Very rough idle on cold start up when in gear

unity
31-05-2009, 10:20 PM
I have a 2007 Accord Euro which idles extremely rough on a cold start up in cooler temperatures (under 15 degrees celcius) when put into gear (D or R)

The car idles ok when in either P or N. However, it is recommended that the engine does not need to be warmed up for any more than one minute even on the coolest of days/nights.

So if I let my car idle in P for a few minutes till the coolant reaches its ideal temperature then there's no problem.

However, If I put the car into gear after a minute the idle is very rough until the coolant reaches its ideal temperature.

Whilst I understand some vibration is normal this feels excessive. For those that are in Melbourne and experienced those 2 earthquakes in March well that's exactly what it feels like. However, as mentioned before, this only happens on cooler days/nights and goes away after a few minutes maximum.

I will sometime in the future leave my car overnight at the dealers so they can do a cold start but that's just not convenient at this point of time.

So do others out there experience this or do I possibly have some problem?

aaronng
31-05-2009, 10:32 PM
When the coolant is cold, the rpm is kept higher. When you put it into D or R with your foot on the brake, the high engine speed has to be absorbed by the torque convertor because the car is not moving. Hence the vibration that you get.

unity
31-05-2009, 10:44 PM
When the coolant is cold, the rpm is kept higher. When you put it into D or R with your foot on the brake, the high engine speed has to be absorbed by the torque convertor because the car is not moving. Hence the vibration that you get.

Thanks for the explanation. There is a tolerance level for everything. This just feels excessive. But why do I only notice this when its cold (cooler)?

The engine speed at start up is usually the same regardless of the external temperature. After 1 minute the engine speed is usually still around the 1300 mark. Shouldn't I be getting exactly the same amount of vibration at 1300 RPM when I put the car into gear regardless of the external temperature?

Limbo
01-06-2009, 11:59 AM
seems unusual for a new car. When was the last time i was serviced?
my sis's new car even when cold it feels smooth as, it just revs higher

unity
01-06-2009, 02:04 PM
seems unusual for a new car. When was the last time i was serviced?
my sis's new car even when cold it feels smooth as, it just revs higher

It was serviced late March. I also noticed this when the car was new but soon after the weather warmed up and it wasn't noticable. Now it's cooling down and it's creeping back.

I've compared it to the 08 Civic and you barely feel a thing on the Civic. Of course you would expect a bit rougher idle upon a cold start up than you would say when the car was warmed up and you were idle at a red traffic light. However, in my case the start up idle is 20 times worse than the warm idle.