PDA

View Full Version : Kw at the wheels

Hondah
01-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Hey guys, I've read on these forums and on redbook etc that a EG VTi has 96Kw.. I take it this isn't at the wheels. So how much power would a stock VTi (good condition) put down at the wheels :confused:

Cheers :)

aaronng
01-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Usually multiply by 0.75 to get kW at the wheels. So 72kW at the wheels for EG VTI

_bORdO_
02-06-2009, 12:50 AM
For a more accurate reading hondah - on next service get your guy to dyno your car ^_^

(just a lil off topic)
aaronng - if thats the rule of thumb for KW at the wheels, would you know what the rule of thumb is for converting HP to KW?
the online calculators don't give you the formula...

redefine
02-06-2009, 01:25 AM
For a more accurate reading hondah - on next service get your guy to dyno your car ^_^

(just a lil off topic)
aaronng - if thats the rule of thumb for KW at the wheels, would you know what the rule of thumb is for converting HP to KW?

1HP=0.746KW roughly

so multiply the HP by .746, and you get kw

if you ever need to know the conversion factor, just go to one of the calculators, and put in 1HP. it'll tell you the factor. lol

trism
02-06-2009, 02:18 AM
i generally think of power at the wheels to be about 15% less than power at the fly for fwd and rwd, and about 25% in awd cars,

this is due to drivetrain/parasitic losses etc

aaronng
02-06-2009, 07:41 AM

(just a lil off topic)

Divide by 1.341 to convert HP to kW.

aaronng
02-06-2009, 07:43 AM
i generally think of power at the wheels to be about 15% less than power at the fly for fwd and rwd, and about 25% in awd cars,

this is due to drivetrain/parasitic losses etc

Most dyno runs I've seen on stock cars on Dyno Dynamics dynos here do 75-77% for FWD, which is 23-25% power loss.
American dynos tend to do 15% power loss.

rayb3na_
02-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Most dyno runs I've seen on stock cars on Dyno Dynamics dynos here do 75-77% for FWD, which is 23-25% power loss.

finally!

dsp26
02-06-2009, 08:47 AM

I've discussed this in detail across a few other forums in the past... and it seems the yanks maybe right on the 15% for fwd... only other factor of why they have more power is probably coz they don't load the dyno and the poofteenth difference in them running in 3rd gear

I've been meaning to ask a QLD dyno shop about this also as it is quite apparent QLD dyno sheets read a lot higher power than anywhere else in Aus that i've seen mod for mod yet the curves are identical to the other lower reading states.

Of course we can verify this only if someones actually engine dynoed and then roller dynoed in say qld then nsw

aaronng
02-06-2009, 08:52 AM
I've discussed this in detail across a few other forums in the past... and it seems the yanks maybe right on the 15% for fwd... only other factor of why they have more power is probably coz they don't load the dyno and the poofteenth difference in them running in 3rd gear

I've been meaning to ask a QLD dyno shop about this also as it is quite apparent QLD dyno sheets read a lot higher power than anywhere else in Aus that i've seen mod for mod yet the curves are identical to the other lower reading states.

Of course we can verify this only if someones actually engine dynoed and then roller dynoed in say qld then nsw

I've seen numerous Acura TSX dynos fully stock in 4th gear. And they all do 15% loss. The difference could be that they use a rolling road dyno, where the rotating drums are set into the ground, unlike the dyno dynamics which is a much more compact unit. Or the air in the northern hemisphere is 20% nitrous. :p

Hondah
02-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks for all your help guys, so its ok to use multiply by 0.75 to get kW as a general rule of thumb I guess :) Oh how I wish it was 96Kw at the wheels though :( haha

feel free to keep the info coming!

aaronng
02-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks for all your help guys, so its ok to use multiply by 0.75 to get kW as a general rule of thumb I guess :) Oh how I wish it was 96Kw at the wheels though :( haha

feel free to keep the info coming!
Dividing by 1.341 is more accurate. If you want to multiply, then use 0.746 like redefine said.

defect
02-06-2009, 10:48 AM
To convert from horsepower to kilowatts, multiply by 0.746.

To convert from kilowatts to horsepower, multiply by 1.34.

aaronng
02-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Remembering 2 numbers is troublesome.

HP to kW = Divide by 1.341
kW to HP = Multiply by 1.341

string
02-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Remembering 2 digits is even easier - 0.75 is a close enough approximation and you can do it in your head.

aaronng
02-06-2009, 12:42 PM
1.34 is closer to 1.341 than 0.75 is to 0.746. :p

joyride
02-06-2009, 01:21 PM
i go by 1.3405 just to be a little bit more accurate ;)

trism
02-06-2009, 01:33 PM
but, lets be honest here, you cant really go off power@wheels to compare cars imo

ive seen a car dynod on two diff dynos, a day apart, no change in setup/weather etc etc and there was a 15-20kw difference

its all got to do with the dyno operator.

really, they are only good for a few things
1-tuning and getting the power curve
2. matching cars ont he same day, same dyno, same operator

Limbo
02-06-2009, 02:02 PM
well hopefully i will be getting my car tuned this weekend @ Toda.

I'm up for some annual leave and may head up to QLD. If i do go up i'll see if i can hookup with a dyno up there and get a reading

dsp26
02-06-2009, 04:15 PM
well hopefully i will be getting my car tuned this weekend @ Toda.

I'm up for some annual leave and may head up to QLD. If i do go up i'll see if i can hookup with a dyno up there and get a reading

i'm betting an extra 10% since the NA guys are getting 105wkw+ on i/h/e on average. that figure is only really somewhat believable for me if they have toda gear... but then again qld dyno's are probably the only right ones lol.

what great way to sell a car... dyno sheet in qld... hhmmmm..... honda community loves 1000rpm if peak killerwasps at peak vtak lol

aaronng
02-06-2009, 04:55 PM
i'm betting an extra 10% since the NA guys are getting 105wkw+ on i/h/e on average. that figure is only really somewhat believable for me if they have toda gear... but then again qld dyno's are probably the only right ones lol.

what great way to sell a car... dyno sheet in qld... hhmmmm..... honda community loves 1000rpm if peak killerwasps at peak vtak lol

I should bring my fat car to qld to be dyno'd too!