PDA

View Full Version : gearbox bearings and seals

Rice_4_life
18-06-2009, 01:21 AM
alright time to replace a noisy input shaft bearing while I have my box out what other bearing and seals can I replace at the same time ?

ECU-MAN
18-06-2009, 11:48 AM
inspect them all and replace any noisy, notchy, damaged looking bearings or gears with bearing races.

check all gear teeth as well

Rice_4_life
18-06-2009, 11:55 AM
yea I'll be inspecting it but I definitely have a noisy input shaft bearing, replacing clutch as well with clutch plate as well while it's out cos it's nearing it's end. As for the rest of the bearings I have no general idea whether they would be noisy or not atm due to the excessive noise the input shaft bearing is making on idle.
Any tips on checking remaining bearings before I take the box out ?

ECU-MAN
18-06-2009, 03:16 PM
what I said above involes inspection with the gearbox disasembled

Rice_4_life
18-06-2009, 08:37 PM
yea well you can only do them with the box open, anyway I'm just looking at a quick in out operation with minimal time spent off road as I need my vehicle, so I'm going to Honda hopefully once and getting an ISB before the box comes out is there any other bearings that are known to wear prematurely or just anything that you would recommend me purchasing cos I don't really want to drop the box twice it hurts doing it once in a cramped one car garage.

ECU-MAN
19-06-2009, 08:49 AM
I know what you mean

you just cant tell by listening what bearing has failed. the ISB is obvious. but the others need to be inspected, Iv seen failed bearing races that dont make musc noise and went undetedcted.

you just have to pull it apart and see. if the ISB has been worn for a long time then metal bits floating around inthe box couls have damaged other parts, so check them all.

Rice_4_life
19-06-2009, 12:43 PM
gah looks like it'll need more than a day, thanks for the speedy information.
Out of curiosity is there a filter inside the box ? Where do the metal shavings usually go ? I'm assuming they just get suspended in the MTF.

BluEG
19-06-2009, 05:13 PM
There is a magnet at the bottom of the box that will pick up some
of the shavings but not all.