PDA

View Full Version : Fixing up an EG - Estimates on price?

Peugeot
25-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Hi all.

Have looked at buying an EG SI, however it needs some work.

I'm leaning towards not worth it, but anyway.

It's a Red '92 SI with 280,000km's and no service history. Becuase of this, it is cheap, but this is what it needs:

- Raise suspension (Has Buddy Club coilovers which are too low)
- Replace front CV boots
- Replace lower rear ball joint
- Replace rear tyres
- Replace rear muffler
- Remove front coloured lights
- Secure wiring under dash
- Leaking fuel tank - replace
- Secure front bar
- Remove Window Tint
- Fabricate and fasten an airbox (has a carbon fibre intake + aftermarket air filter)

Does all that stuff look too daunting or expensive to fix? Sounds like a bit of a bucket really, but the car seems to idle smooth, all gears are smooth no whine or but I couldn't really test drive it because it's out of rego.

Thoughts?

Thanks

rayb3na_
25-08-2009, 04:06 PM
that sounds like a pretty decent car is the motor stock? just remember that most of the things listed above you can fix slowly.. id replace the fuel tank, cv's and ball joint first before anything else.. everything else is really no biggy just personal preference

Peugeot
25-08-2009, 04:10 PM
They will all need to be fixed before I can get it registered, so unfontuantly i'd have to do the whole lot.

Yes the motor is stock except for intake and exhaust.

jaydenn
25-08-2009, 04:17 PM
sounds great for a project car!

clutch
25-08-2009, 04:19 PM
might be easier just dropping whatever engine is in the SI (with lower kayz to) into an eg gl or something?

Peugeot
25-08-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm currently carless at the moment and needing something quick is all.

Here she is!

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=7090511&__Qpb=true&Cr=0&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|1|| pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__N=1216%201247%201282%201252%201246%204294965322% 204294965250%204294928096%20898%20442&silo=1011&PriceTo=442&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=6&__sid=123515912711

clutch
25-08-2009, 04:38 PM
id say it has to many kayz and would look for something only ever under 200, but thats just me

SuiJin
25-08-2009, 05:45 PM
that's 500 cheaper than my 95 vti. lol rip off :D

Peugeot
25-08-2009, 07:24 PM
is your vti for sale?

EK1.6LCIV
25-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi all.

Have looked at buying an EG SI, however it needs some work.

I'm leaning towards not worth it, but anyway.

It's a Red '92 SI with 280,000km's and no service history. Becuase of this, it is cheap, but this is what it needs:

- Raise suspension (Has Buddy Club coilovers which are too low)
- Replace front CV boots ($135 for new ones at honda or $180 for new shafts each installed near my work (new non oem ones)
- Replace lower rear ball joint (varies, how bad is it?)
- Replace rear tyres (buy cheap wheels new with tyres already)
- Replace rear muffler ($50-100)
- Remove front coloured lights (indicators or headlamps?)
- Secure wiring under dash (go to autobarn, wiring is not worth half of the people I knows time tbch as if its been touched previously is more than likely ass lol)
- Leaking fuel tank - replace (wow, how did that happen? seriously unless he or she has a damn good story I wouldve walked away at this point)
- Secure front bar (is it the front bar or is the reo stuffed as well?)
- Remove Window Tint ($50 or pay $195 for new 3M tints all round which is nice and legal, none of this 'legal' legal, but actually legal)
- Fabricate and fasten an airbox (has a carbon fibre intake + aftermarket air filter) (buy an airbox from a wrecker for next to nothing, if not free as its considered garbage at my locals lol)

Does all that stuff look too daunting or expensive to fix? Sounds like a bit of a bucket really, but the car seems to idle smooth, all gears are smooth no whine or but I couldn't really test drive it because it's out of rego.

Thoughts?

Thanks

thoughts above as followed, decent car, but the fuel tank is a shit problem and the wiring sounds like a pita

norm84
25-08-2009, 07:51 PM
dude, its sounds like its got some decent stuff with it. minor things can be fixed.
yhe its got high kms, but what does them kms consists... lots of thrashing or hwy kms.
look at the apart from the things that need fixing, how is the engine. does it blow smoke? need to look at them things too.

as for service history...... honestly who has them these days apart from ppl with new cars. alot of ppl do there own cars.

all in all, it sounds like its alright. weigh it up,

V = value of the car
C = cost of the car
R = repairs need to be made
M = mods on the car

C+R-M= saving you some money and a good base project

hypothetically

V 5000

C 2000 + R 600 - M 2000 = 600 bucks for a running SI... what a fkn bargain :)

Peugeot
25-08-2009, 08:14 PM
I didn't check on any smoke, but it started up first go and sounded normal.

Wiring is not a problem for me, i've wired my fair share of things in my time to have that taken care of, it's just the mechanical thing that i'm pathetic at.

Sales guy said that the car had been reversed over a rock, hence the tank hole.

Is there any difference between tanks?

Are they hard to change over?

Front bar fix will involve some cable ties, and airbox will be easy.

It's just the refitting of standard suspension and fixing of ball joint's i'm worried about.

It also has a Cusco strut brace!

90LAN
25-08-2009, 08:17 PM
are you fixing the car yourself or paying some one to do it

by the time you fix it you could of just got a better car

looks like you are buying some else problems

best to save a bit more and get a car with rego and no problems

EK1.6LCIV
25-08-2009, 08:32 PM
I didn't check on any smoke, but it started up first go and sounded normal.

Wiring is not a problem for me, i've wired my fair share of things in my time to have that taken care of, it's just the mechanical thing that i'm pathetic at.

Sales guy said that the car had been reversed over a rock, hence the tank hole. omg, this is where Id laugh at him, what a good salesman

Is there any difference between tanks? efi and carbie yes

Are they hard to change over? its possible, but seriously why would you think about it, this car belongs in a junk yard

Front bar fix will involve some cable ties, and airbox will be easy. if youre using zip ties for something that isnt being used for drifting or you hit an animal going cross country you should walk away here as well lol

It's just the refitting of standard suspension and fixing of ball joint's i'm worried about.

It also has a Cusco strut brace! lol

Im sorry but for the same money or a lil more you can pick up something mint if your patience and have a good dig, there's literally hundreds of egs in oz, theyre anything but rare which is why I suggest you walk away and find a clean one :)

mocchi
25-08-2009, 08:39 PM
exactly. unless the car was only $500.

Peugeot
25-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Yeah, sounds like a bucket hey.

Also why would you trade in a car like that at a dealership.

I'm finding it hard to get around without a car is all, thanks to Canberra shitful public transport, so I really don't have the time to wait. I need a car shortly, as in... by the weekend at the max.

Might have to take a trip up to Syd...

Peugeot
25-08-2009, 08:51 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-Civic-Hatchback-92-1-5L-engine-GOOD-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ260464633347QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ AU_Cars?hash=item3ca4e6e603&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Opinions?

EK1.6LCIV
25-08-2009, 08:55 PM
exactly. unless the car was only $500.

lol for 500, about 4 months ago bought an eg vti sedan auto 200000km in good nick, solid panels, leaky exhaust and in need of a new tyre, not a list a mile long lol

then sold it... lol