PDA

View Full Version : FWD Drag 'boxes?

joonix
04-05-2005, 05:02 PM
'lo all,

After seeing a the purpose built drag civics and integras posted here a few days ago, I started to wonder what type of gear boxes do they use.

Are there aftermarket FWD gear boxes available? If I wanted a RWD box, I could just visit the nearest Jerico, Lenco or Hollinger dealer. I could also use one of the many power glide build kits.

Do simmilar boxes / kits exist for FWD cars, or are they custom fabricated for each car? I'd certainly hate to have to plow through 5 gears down a strip...

Mugen boy
04-05-2005, 05:16 PM
as far as i know most hondas drag cars use pretty stock boxes, mine is fine with 200kw , i know of cars with double that and more using stock boxes, honda boxes be good if you know how to drive....

bennjamin
04-05-2005, 06:02 PM
any honda ive seen posted on the net or at WSID etc - has used stock gearboxes - onyl with driveline upgrades such as stornger driveshafts , differentials and clutch upgrades. Honda seems to make them strong enough - break it and jsut buy another :)

Better than some dog box worth $5k or so lol.

wynode
04-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Yeahh.......generally driveshafts are the first to break provided you don't blow an Input shaft bearing (the first to go that will kill your gearbox).

Most hi-po drag cars have a few spare boxes and just rebuild their blown ones!

DynoDave
04-05-2005, 09:05 PM
'lo all,

After seeing a the purpose built drag civics and integras posted here a few days ago, I started to wonder what type of gear boxes do they use.

Are there aftermarket FWD gear boxes available? If I wanted a RWD box, I could just visit the nearest Jerico, Lenco or Hollinger dealer. I could also use one of the many power glide build kits.

Do simmilar boxes / kits exist for FWD cars, or are they custom fabricated for each car? I'd certainly hate to have to plow through 5 gears down a strip...
There are 3 FWD dog box's made here in Australia and they are all exported oversea's the company's are
Modena Engineering ( Melbourne )
Pfitzner Performance Gearbox's ( South Australia) www.ppgearbox.com.au (http://www.ppgearbox.com.au)
PAR Engineering ( Sydney ) www.par-engineering.com (http://www.par-engineering.com)
Regards Dyno Dave

joonix
04-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the information guys.

Looks like it's dog boxes. I suppose depending on the gearing, you wouldn't have to move through as many gears.