PDA

View Full Version : Spoon Thermostat And Thermoswitch?

raff
15-06-2005, 04:03 PM
just wndering if there is any effect from the spoon thermostat and thermoswitch besides engine running cooler?

also what are the advantages of installing these 2?

-RaF-

ekslut
15-06-2005, 04:31 PM
nope, thats pretty much what they do. They start the cooling process and switch on the fan at a lower temp.

And that is the advantage, you have a cooler car. Coz is starts cooling earlier, it is harder for it to overheat.

BLKCRX
15-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Side effect is your car never gets up to STOCK operating temperature, thus your ECU will add fuel to account for this, thinking its still in cold start up mode, causing you to run rich all day every day, and use more fuel.

You should not charge parameters like that unless you can compensate for them electronically via tuning.

Regards James

raff
15-06-2005, 05:00 PM
cheers fella's

its mainly wank facor in this case!

wynode
15-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Side effect is your car never gets up to STOCK operating temperature, thus your ECU will add fuel to account for this, thinking its still in cold start up mode, causing you to run rich all day every day, and use more fuel.

You should not charge parameters like that unless you can compensate for them electronically via tuning.

Regards James
How so?

I was under the impression it stops the coolant from overheating..........as opposed to stopping it from reaching operating temprature?

What is 'operating temprature' in terms of the ECU knowing that the car is warmed up?

Limbo
15-06-2005, 05:38 PM
i was under the impression that it would allow the coolant to flow at higher temps. The spoon one operates at high temp, thus it will actually not allow the coolant to run thru the engine, thus allowing the engine to warm up faster?

ekslut
16-06-2005, 09:54 AM

Regards James

The thermostat just starts the cooling earlier. I had one on my EK4, and it makes the temp sit just below the middle. Not so low that the car thinks it is not warm. I didn't notice a difference in fuel consumption, and it didn't seem to be running rich.

And the thermoswitch, just switchs on the fan when it senses the car is starting to overheat. The spoon unit just starts the fan at a little bit lower temp, therefore helps prevent overheating.