PDA

View Full Version : ek4 oil leaking problems

alphabeatsco
28-07-2005, 10:21 AM
i've serviced my car recently, and the mechanic found the oil leaking form the following areas.

1. crankshaft seal
2. both camshaft seal
3. engine sump gasket

are these normal leaks? commonly found on civics?

cos i asked another mechanic and he said it's not common to leak from engine sump gasket and he reckons it's probably not the right spot.

i dunno if i should just fix those seals? or what.

bennjamin
28-07-2005, 10:44 AM
to fix the camshaft seal - refer to this DIY i did recently.

CLICK HERE (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22561)

What side is the "engine sump" leaking on ? Also the "crank shaft seal" ? Transmission side , or timing belt side ? Might be your rear main seal that is leaking ( nestled inside the clutch housing, behind the flywheel) - this is easy to replace...simply by shimmying out with a flathead screwdriver and tapped in with a small hammer BUT you must remove your transmission anf flywheel first.

alphabeatsco
28-07-2005, 10:48 AM
to be honest, all i know if the engine sump gasket, that's da sump that's holding the engine oil and it's da gasket there.

camshaft seal is inside the engine, the block right...

but i dunno wat's crankshaft seal.

bennjamin
28-07-2005, 10:50 AM
to be honest, all i know if the engine sump gasket, that's da sump that's holding the engine oil and it's da gasket there.

camshaft seal is inside the engine, the block right...

but i dunno wat's crankshaft seal.

camshaft seal is on top of the head - there is one on the exhaust camshaft next to the dizzy. Crankshaft seal = rear main seal i think....as it is inline with the crankshaft :)

pix of where it is leaking ?

anyone ?

alphabeatsco
28-07-2005, 10:57 AM
rear main seal!? is that still inside or near da engine???
cos i seriously dunno where it's leaking as im not a mechanic...
but that's wat he said to me.
crankshaft seal and cam shaft seal...
and he said might as welll do the timing belt as well while doing the cam shaft seal? is that true? cos from the DIY guide, i dun see why u need to do timing belt..as it doesnt look too hard.

bennjamin
28-07-2005, 10:59 AM
take some fotos of where u think it is leakign and post it up here ok !

alphabeatsco
28-07-2005, 11:16 AM
hmm..i think it's pretty hard to take pics..as it's tiny gaps.
but i jus twanna ask if anyone's had these problems b4. and how much approx, it would be to fix these probs

bennjamin
28-07-2005, 11:29 AM
rear main seal = $30 (parts) plus $300 labour ( to pull off the tranny and install again)
camshaft seal = free if u can DIY it like in my guide.

alphabeatsco
28-07-2005, 11:50 AM
the crankshaft seal is no where near the engine? since u said tranny and gearbox...

alphabeatsco
28-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Does Anyone Know If There Is Aftermarket Civic B16a2 Water Pumps Available? Or It Has To Be Genuine Honda.

CRXY01
28-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Yes you can get aftermarket water pumps for B16a.

alphabeatsco
28-07-2005, 02:40 PM
where?
any good ?

badsector
28-07-2005, 06:40 PM
I've been told that in B series engines, it's common for the camshaft seals to leak after time. I've had this problem on a few of my hondas.

As for sump gasket and crank shaft seal, I am starting to notice a very little bit of oil around my sump area but I don't think that they are common to civics.

ECU-MAN
28-07-2005, 10:57 PM
you could also try tightening your sump up a bit

simple fix if thats the problem

elim
28-07-2005, 10:58 PM
I hope I don't have an oil leak problem but after 5000km, the oil is just above midway on the dipstick (between the 2 dots/holes)!

Do you think staying in vtec alot will cause this much drop in oil ?

I might get it checked out at Hanny's when I do the 5 year service....