PDA

View Full Version : Help me fix damper mounting.. ID parts

Dxs
28-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Hey guys, yesterday i started driving my car and notice that the front left suspention was knocking about.
Had a look and it seems as though the mounting at the top has come off! The thread is still in tack though.

http://i4.tinypic.com/10xhldh.jpg

Now i am wondering what i am missing.

From the workshop manual stock dampers have the nut, the 'damper mounting rubber' (1), the damper mounting washer (2) and the damper mounting collar. I have kyb special sr dampers..

I believe I only havefound 2 parts.

I just want to ask if there should be the collar as well. I guess i can order this from honda?

Also is there any trick to remounting it.. Just put on the collar then the rubber bush then the washer and then the nut and torque to 30nm? 30nm is just damn hard yeah? Should i jack the car up or anything while doing it?

tips etc?

LowEk
28-05-2006, 12:49 PM
from what i can see man the collar is still there so just jack you car up and and re fit those parts the same way as the pic also get a nyloc nut it will fit better and stay on also abit of loctite will help too ive loctited all my sussy nuts.

Dxs
28-05-2006, 12:56 PM
thanks mate

i removed the washer from the drivers side to have a look and it seems from that.. that the passenger side suspention has sunk a little.. i guess when i do up the nut it is come back up

so basically i do it up as tight as i can seeming as though it is 30nm? (big torque.. beyond my wrench even).

Also i notice when i do up the nut the thread moves with the nut.. would this affect anything if rotated a few times?

so i am basically just gonna get some new nuts and do them up as tight as i can while jacked.. thats about it?

LowEk
28-05-2006, 01:01 PM
thanks mate

i removed the washer from the drivers side to have a look and it seems from that.. that the passenger side suspention has sunk a little.. i guess when i do up the nut it is come back up

so basically i do it up as tight as i can seeming as though it is 30nm? (big torque.. beyond my wrench even).

Also i notice when i do up the nut the thread moves with the nut.. would this affect anything if rotated a few times?

so i am basically just gonna get some new nuts and do them up as tight as i can while jacked.. thats about it?

try use a rattle gun it wont spin then just dont go crazy tight with it. it wont affect anything by spinning just will make it harder for you to do up. make sure you get a nyloc nut for it it will be a better nut and hold better wont come undone and just do it up and your done.:thumbsup:

Dxs
28-05-2006, 02:42 PM
ok thanks again..
will have to goto a nut shop tommorow
m10*1.25 arent the easiest to get

the other damper nut wasnt on tight at all.. 1 turn of the spanner and then it was able to be undone by hand.. i presume it needs to be tighter than that when i do them both up again

LowEk
28-05-2006, 03:10 PM
get 2 new nuts man. make sure they are NYLOC nuts.

Dxs
28-05-2006, 03:25 PM
yeah i plan to
or at least self locking

also got some locktite

easy fix

LowEk
28-05-2006, 03:26 PM
let me know how you go with it man.

Dxs
29-05-2006, 01:02 PM
got a few nuts today..
just did them up as tight as i could while holding the top of the thread with some pliers..

the nut is at the same height on both dampers..

took it for a good drive.. and it is all fine :)

LowEk
29-05-2006, 04:35 PM
got a few nuts today..
just did them up as tight as i could while holding the top of the thread with some pliers..

the nut is at the same height on both dampers..

took it for a good drive.. and it is all fine :)

nice mate good work. :thumbsup: