PDA

View Full Version : Euro with 18" rims and insurance

snYpz
03-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Hi,
Im planning to either get 17 or 18 inch rims on my euro but not yet decided. will i have to notify my insurance company (NRMA) abt the change?
How abt my spare wheel because the factory one is only a 16 inch space saver? can i fit full sized wheels in the spare wheel compartment in the boot?
With the change in wheel size, do i have to change suspension or anything like that cos i dont wanna compromise comfort for looks.

cheers
:D

sitta
03-04-2007, 10:06 PM
yo if you want comfort definitely dont change wheel. If you want to change suspension do it for the handling not the comfort! i dont think you need to notify the insurance and do you also want to get a new wheel as the spare?

yfin
03-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Hi,
Im planning to either get 17 or 18 inch rims on my euro but not yet decided. will i have to notify my insurance company (NRMA) abt the change?
How abt my spare wheel because the factory one is only a 16 inch space saver? can i fit full sized wheels in the spare wheel compartment in the boot?
With the change in wheel size, do i have to change suspension or anything like that cos i dont wanna compromise comfort for looks.

cheers
:D

Yes you need to notify your insurance company.

The new 17/18 will fit in the boot but the carpet floor that sits above the spare will not be even. It will lift up the centre part. It isn't a big deal though - it is better than having a space saver on long trips.

You can keep using the space saver if you change rim size. Just keep to the same overall diametre.

You will compromise comfort slightly - but I didn't notice much difference in ride going from 16 to 17 whilst keeping stock suspension. 18s may be a tad worse.

[ricer]
03-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Yes you need to notify your insurance company.

The new 17/18 will fit in the boot but the carpet floor that sits above the spare will not be even. It will lift up the centre part. It isn't a big deal though - it is better than having a space saver on long trips.

You can keep using the space saver if you change rim size. Just keep to the same overall diametre.

You will compromise comfort slightly - but I didn't notice much difference in ride going from 16 to 17 whilst keeping stock suspension. 18s may be a tad worse.

correct
best to notify your insurance company so they can put it on the policy incase you car gets written off or stolen they'll pay you for that too