PDA

View Full Version : Black Bonnets? i.e. FAKE carbon

DC4Integra98
27-04-2008, 10:34 PM
I've always wondered whenever seeing a car with a black bonnet, whether its been sprayed/fiber glass or whether its an authentic carbon fiber.

I'm from Melbourne and cannot afford the real carbon fiber bonnets atm, thus looking at alternatives (since only doing it for cosmetic/car theme purposes). I've been looking around but not sure where / how to get it.
Not sure if going into a car paint workshop and asking for them to spray my bonnet black they will know whats going on.
Has anyone done this before?

Is there a place to purchase a fiber glass black bonnet
or
Spray my current stock bonnet black and all glossy for the 'carbon' effect?
or
Other options? Pretty much going the 'cheap' alternative here.

misterandyle
27-04-2008, 10:44 PM
car yard

dupac->
27-04-2008, 10:46 PM
lol

most around sydney are sprayed black standard bonnets..

but you do get the occasional CF hood sprayed black to..

dont see much fibreglass ones sprayed black..

if ur just after the look.. spray ur standard bonnet black.

xntrik
27-04-2008, 10:47 PM
just spray.

CB7_OWNER
27-04-2008, 11:15 PM
authentic carbon fiber will prolly still have that texture to it even its been spray painted?? get it sprayed, and leave it matte finish ^^,

Chi
27-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Sprayed black bonnets are lame.

ITs like slapping a Type R badge on a non type R car.

Only ppl that are ok imho using black bonnets are bogans in commo's who cant afford to get a new painted bonnet.

DC4Integra98
27-04-2008, 11:21 PM
sounds like the spray is the way to go.

Approximately how much am I looking at - ask for matte/gloss finish? Will go get some quotes possibly tomorrow.

I'm doing it purely for cosmetic purposes with the black/silver theme. I don't do track or street racing and my car is quite slow. I'm just trying to make it look good.

Only ppl that are ok imho using black bonnets are bogans in commo's who cant afford to get a new painted bonnet.

So you suggest purchasing a new black bonnet?

SHOGUNOVDDRK
27-04-2008, 11:25 PM
sounds like the spray is the way to go.

Approximately how much am I looking at? Will go get some quotes possibly tomorrow.

Cheapest ive seen was 200 with prep work done by them

Really depends on weither you want to do the work or not

Keep us posted on cost :thumbsup:

blahZ
27-04-2008, 11:27 PM

i dont get it
why would it be like a type R badge on a non type R??

edit thank you miter dupuc

dupac->
27-04-2008, 11:28 PM
non type r.

GSi_PSi
27-04-2008, 11:30 PM
isnt carbon fibre hoods about the lightness not really looks? lol i lifted one up and it felt like paper

blahZ
27-04-2008, 11:31 PM
not exactly like paper..
jst abit lighter

DC4Integra98
27-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Keep us posted on cost :thumbsup:
Will do :)

xntrik
27-04-2008, 11:36 PM
slight lighter,
just buy what u can afford.

who cares.

integra black bonnet if you can find em, ranges from 150-250 (just cause theyre black)
to respray a bonnet would cost roughly the same im guessing.

DC4Integra98
27-04-2008, 11:45 PM
integra black bonnet if you can find em, ranges from 150-250 (just cause theyre black)
to respray a bonnet would cost roughly the same im guessing.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Will now look into both options.

diffuzn
27-04-2008, 11:47 PM
hey man. u could cover ur bonnet with cf looking vinyl. search on ebay for it

dupac->
28-04-2008, 12:01 AM
i reckon leave it standard.. dc's look abit funny with or without the cf/black look.. just the way the bonnet is i guess

DC4Integra98
28-04-2008, 12:07 AM
i reckon leave it standard.. dc's look abit funny with or without the cf/black look.. just the way the bonnet is i guess

Yeah, I think I've followed the trend over at team-integra (american counterpart) where everyone has a black or cf bonnet.

Will still look into it and if it is the right price will consider a purchase.

In regards to cf vinyl, I'm quite lazy about cutting it into shape and all and it might look really obvious and crap :P
Heres an example I might look into purchasing if I get off my ass
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/X-LARGE-CARBON-FIBRE-VINYL-SHEET-1-M-X-610-MM-CAR_W0QQitemZ200218332717QQihZ010QQcategoryZ36606Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

diffuzn
28-04-2008, 12:12 AM
nah dude there is like pre cut ones by some company from memory.. because i wanted to buy some yellow tint to make my headlights look yellow and i was looking through the store. try international sellers or something..

Also black bonnets on dc's do look weird because they end so short of the lights :\

rpm boy
28-04-2008, 10:35 AM
lol

most around sydney are sprayed black standard bonnets..

but you do get the occasional CF hood sprayed black to..

dont see much fibreglass ones sprayed black..

if ur just after the look.. spray ur standard bonnet black.

Lol thats cause most in sydney have been in front enders and could only find a black hood to replace it lol

teh_mechanic
28-04-2008, 05:52 PM
hey man. u could cover ur bonnet with cf looking vinyl. search on ebay for it

if you do that.
i will try and get wynode to ban you hahaha.
so dodgy

omg,thats a new level of dodgyness.rice is evolving

most black bonnets here are just standard black bonnets,most australians (notice i say most,there are some hardcore racers out there) buy the carbon bonnets more for the look,rather than the 5-10 kg or so weight saving,so the last thing they wanna do is paint over it for stealthiness.im over the black bonnet look personally

diffuzn
28-04-2008, 08:26 PM
if you do that.
i will try and get wynode to ban you hahaha.
so dodgy

omg,thats a new level of dodgyness.rice is evolving

most black bonnets here are just standard black bonnets,most australians (notice i say most,there are some hardcore racers out there) buy the carbon bonnets more for the look,rather than the 5-10 kg or so weight saving,so the last thing they wanna do is paint over it for stealthiness.im over the black bonnet look personally

for ultimate weight reduction go for runs and lose 15kg on the driver ^_^

mars_panas
28-04-2008, 08:45 PM
As others has said... if you spray it... it will cost the same as getting one that's already black... and its better getting one thats already black so you have 2 hoods

so you can keep swapping...

That is probably the cheapest option you have.... try the local wreckers near you... good luck and post up pics when you have it :thumbsup:

02gzm
28-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Just go for a run and take a dump b4 driving. Will make ur car go faster :thumbsup:

Q_ball
28-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Enough of the shit replies please ppl!

Best/cheapest option is to buy another bonnet to spray if not already black.
There will come a time when you will sell your car, and not every man and his dog will appreciate a black bonnet.

Getting a CF bonnet is definately lighter, more "jdm y0", but keep in mind that its also defectable.

Dont get stickers/vinyls!!

DC4Integra98
29-04-2008, 12:11 AM
Yeah it seems the general consensus is to purchase a bonnet already sprayed black.

Will scour the 'parts for sale' section as well as car yards(?). Any suggestions where else to find?

Will also look into quotes for a spray just to get an idea.

xntrik
29-04-2008, 12:18 AM
you missed both sales when i had a black bonnet up,
and a carbon one just went past

DC4Integra98
29-04-2008, 12:20 AM
you missed both sales when i had a black bonnet up,
and a carbon one just went past

:thumbdwn:

aimre
29-04-2008, 01:54 AM

Thats like saying having ur car painted is lame. All cars should just be made of stainless or allum like the delorian.

Some cars, the black looks good

TheSaint
29-04-2008, 02:18 AM
whats the point?

its like putting a axle back cannon on a EFI GLI civic...

save up and get carbon or leave it stock and buy a nice type-r front lip/lip kit instead, would look heaps better

i would say the ratio of people out there that you are going to impress vs the ratio that u arnt wouldn't be worth it lol and you will attract unwanted attention to your car than too

if i had a carbon fibre bonnet and i HAD to paint it i would paint it the same colour as the car

these fads the kids keep going through, we already have a generation of cars with holes in the boots and rusted cheap T wings after the fast and the furious movies, now we are going to have a generation of cars with black bonnets =/

im sorry if i dont sound positive but in australia the black bonnet on a car has always been associated with bogans/cheap/holden etc

diffuzn
29-04-2008, 02:51 AM
i suppose it all comes down to tastes...

Like the way i see it is that black bonnet fashion only exists because CF bonnets actually looked good, and thus people wanna copy the look.

So theres the argument that they arn't trying to make it look like a CF bonnet at all but just like the look, and the argument that you're trying to make people think its something when it isn't.

Sooo i guess people are always entitled to opinion and also choice on how they make their car look :)

Riced_Civic
29-04-2008, 08:19 AM
^^^
so tru, it depends in the persons taste.

its your car do what u like to it, its your own personal preference of how you want your car to look.

dont worry about what others think of your car, if u like it spray it or get a CF, if you dont like it dont change it.

xntrik
29-04-2008, 09:12 AM
let him do what he wants. jesus christ.
i cant believe you guys are telling him what to do.

baeshin
30-04-2008, 09:50 AM
a copper was telling us that a cf bonnet isnt defectable as long as it has those crumple zone design things

EK9
30-04-2008, 11:13 AM
a copper was telling us that a cf bonnet isnt defectable as long as it has those crumple zone design things
i believe that is true... well here in Melb anyway, duno bout Sydney. I asked a copper who was checking out my car, he said as long as it's secured and safe, no probs... then i even asked VicRoads about the bonnet when they were inspecting my car, no issues either. Mine's half fibreglass half carbon...

ANYWAY, imo if you really want a cheap alternative for black bonnet, get the extra one. That way you'll save when you need to sell or feel like going back to stock... please dont get that stick on cf film crap...

on a side note, i personally think it's pretty ugly to have a bonnet black cos it's like imitating cf when it aint... fair enuff most cars with cf bonnets (like me) have it for bling, but it's still cf... just like cf wings, lips, mirrors, etc. i duno, if you're going white/black theme, then it might look ok... but would you be painting your roof and other bits black too? at the end of the day... i would leave it stock colour if i were you... especially if it's audm dc2, cf/black bonnets do go with the design... that's my couple cents worth.

Q_ball
30-04-2008, 11:15 AM
^Exactly my thoughts too..
AUDM fronted tegs dont look good with black bonnets ...
JDM fronted tegs is another story :)

T-onedc2
30-04-2008, 11:27 AM
^^^ me too^^^
Real CF gets appreciated, a painted/fake bonnet is like a commodore mounting it's licence plate on the left to get air to the radiator lol, and yes I've seen it :p

scyt7e
30-04-2008, 11:35 AM
lol one more exception... if you do a panel conversion, you should have the cheapness of not painting the new oem bonnet but instead put that money to getting a cf one :thumbsup: and leaving it black in the mean time :D

DC4Integra98
30-04-2008, 02:31 PM
sounds like getting the real thing is the way to go

EK9
30-04-2008, 02:49 PM
like most ppl tend to say, do it right the first time and you wont regret it...