PDA

View Full Version : X Brace - How to correctly install & reviews?

Chris S15
11-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Hi All,

Just purchased and installed a TDM Cross Brace.

It was a very very tight fit, installing it by yourself would be pretty difficult.

What i was wondering is, i've never come across a brace that was so difficult to install, is it normal for Cross Braces to be this difficult?

Although, after the install, you can definately feel the difference. The rear is so predictable, sure a little rigid and stiff, but better than a unpredictable rear end.

Couldn't keep my rear strut brace, but was able to keep my C-Pillar Brace.

The main thing that really annoys me is the creaking and squeaking, even when rolling slowly to a stop it creaks and squeaks. Those who have one installed, did you remove the rear trim completely or trim a large hole around the mounting plates on the rear struts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!

Chris

dupac->
11-07-2008, 09:26 AM
with mine it was a bitch to install too.. just really where you have to rotate the 4 points to get the bar in all right!

i cut a whole in my trim since i've had the hole for my strut before anyways.

i noticed it creaks more coming to un even roads. but when i have my rear seats in.. they creak less as the seats are pushed up against the bar itself.

yeah handling wise feels very tight around the corners.

not a bad buy i would say.

Riced_Civic
13-07-2008, 09:57 AM
wats is a cross brace?? where does it go?? ive never heard of it.

geeang
13-07-2008, 10:34 AM
A cross brace is like two strut bars in the shape of a big "X", it mounts to the rear suspension struts and the c-pillars.

Like so:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/namzie/_MG_3827.jpg

Riced_Civic
13-07-2008, 10:36 AM
oh ok.

shadou
13-07-2008, 11:47 AM
now all you need is a 22mm white line sway and you'll be in for a world of creaks and squeaks from the rear.

hisoka
13-07-2008, 11:55 AM
ive been wondering for a while, i got JIC strut bar at the back and was going to get J's racing c pillar or JIC if i can find~ will it do the same amount~or is it better to just get the x brace~ive always wondered lol

aaronng
13-07-2008, 12:35 PM
To reduce the creaking, spray a layer of PTFE/Teflon grease on the area where the brace touches the chassis before you install it.

rayb3na_
13-07-2008, 12:38 PM
To reduce the creaking, spray a layer of PTFE/Teflon grease on the area where the brace touches the chassis before you install it.

ahh thats very smart ive never thought of that! where can we buy this stuff frmo bunnings should have it yeah?

aaronng
13-07-2008, 12:46 PM
ahh thats very smart ive never thought of that! where can we buy this stuff frmo bunnings should have it yeah?

Yup, from Bunnings. It comes in a slim dark green can with a black cover. I think that's the one. Not cheap though, around $17. So get a few guys to chip in and spray that shit on. It's better than WD40 because you don't get that oily film which leaks out as you drive the car. A cheaper alternative is spray on lithium grease. Thinking about it now, lithium grease should work better. Get the one in the light blue can, also from Bunnings. It's worth it because with the lithium grease, you can use it lube up other parts of your car, including on the battery terminal to stop the green powdery corrosion, without having to worry about it damaging plastic parts like WD40 does.

13-07-2008, 01:25 PM
It was a headache to install the X-bar as i was trying to put my B to C pillar bar, C-pillar bar and seat belt on together. I thought that i would be easier if you just put the X-bar on alone.

ive been wondering for a while, i got JIC strut bar at the back and was going to get J's racing c pillar or JIC if i can find~ will it do the same amount~or is it better to just get the x brace~ive always wondered lol

I had the same setup as you mention above. Now i only have the X-bar and without the rear strut, trust me, X-bar alone is much more better than C-pillar bar+rear strut in term of handling and blingiing.
You may still get the C-pillar bar and get the X-bar later on, it will be more rice IMO:D but i doubt if you can still put the JIC rear strut on while X-bar is there

xtat1k
13-07-2008, 01:45 PM
I've tried to put my j's racing c pillar in with the xbar it was hard.
i went to try and find a longer bolt but nowhere to be bought.
so i just put the xbar in alone but it is possible to join the c with the x.
friends done it.

hisoka
13-07-2008, 02:11 PM
coolies, does cusco make x bar for civics ? or what brands you guys rolling~

13-07-2008, 02:41 PM
I've tried to put my j's racing c pillar in with the xbar it was hard.
i went to try and find a longer bolt but nowhere to be bought.
so i just put the xbar in alone but it is possible to join the c with the x.
friends done it.

just go to your local bolts/nuts shop, i got a longer one there. Mine one is longer than enough to put in X-bar, C-pillar bar and seat belt together.

BTW, Cusco does not have X bar. As far as i know, only TDM and Miracle have X-bar.

Chris S15
16-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Yup, from Bunnings. It comes in a slim dark green can with a black cover. I think that's the one. Not cheap though, around $17. So get a few guys to chip in and spray that shit on. It's better than WD40 because you don't get that oily film which leaks out as you drive the car. A cheaper alternative is spray on lithium grease. Thinking about it now, lithium grease should work better. Get the one in the light blue can, also from Bunnings. It's worth it because with the lithium grease, you can use it lube up other parts of your car, including on the battery terminal to stop the green powdery corrosion, without having to worry about it damaging plastic parts like WD40 does.

did it make a slight or big difference?

Zdster
16-07-2008, 11:36 AM

I wonder if you could install some sort of rubber or silicon gasket under each of the mounting points which could potentially solve the problem?

aaronng
16-07-2008, 05:42 PM
did it make a slight or big difference?

Lithium grease is thicker and would be better at reducing or eliminating the sound. Teflon grease is thin and once the film is broken, the squeaking can come back.

aaronng
16-07-2008, 05:43 PM
I wonder if you could install some sort of rubber or silicon gasket under each of the mounting points which could potentially solve the problem?

Then you might lose some rigidity because the gasket allows slight movement.....

absolutR
16-07-2008, 07:39 PM
hey chris, have you been able to keep your seat belts with the mount, i've heard some ppl saying definately not then i've heard a few others saying you can still mount the seatbelts. its looks like you can in this photo
::::::::::>>>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/namzie/_MG_3827.jpg

Chris S15
17-07-2008, 12:00 AM
hey chris, have you been able to keep your seat belts with the mount, i've heard some ppl saying definately not then i've heard a few others saying you can still mount the seatbelts. its looks like you can in this photo

With the bolt that came with my TDM rear cross brace, i can only install the cross brace with the c-pillar brace, nothing else. But if you go to your local nuts and bolts supplier and get the exact same thread and allen key head (but longer) then you can have all three (seatbelt, c-pillar, x brace) installed.

Make sure you get the strongest bolt available. Something like high tensile, etc.

Zdster
17-07-2008, 10:26 AM
With the bolt that came with my TDM rear cross brace, i can only install the cross brace with the c-pillar brace, nothing else. But if you go to your local nuts and bolts supplier and get the exact same thread and allen key head (but longer) then you can have all three (seatbelt, c-pillar, x brace) installed.

Make sure you get the strongest bolt available. Something like high tensile, etc.

I would not want to ride in the back if you had those bars installed. I suggest people think twice if they intend to have back seat passenegers.

dupac->
18-07-2008, 08:54 AM

my ones came with bolts for the seat belt.
im running the brace with a seat belt.

I would not want to ride in the back if you had those bars installed. I suggest people think twice if they intend to have back seat passenegers.
in the dc2 its kinda bad.. only if you slouch when u sit..
in the ek its fine.. no one has hit the heads or anything like that yet.

Chris S15
18-07-2008, 08:57 AM
I can't use my EK4 rear seats with the headreats, doesn't clear. Oh wait, i don't have backseats anyways, nevermind. =)

G-Stick
18-07-2008, 11:35 AM

you can pat, i just cbf putting them on.

dupac->
18-07-2008, 11:52 AM
I can't use my EK4 rear seats with the headreats, doesn't clear. Oh wait, i don't have backseats anyways, nevermind. =)
yeah i had to take of my headrests too
lol..

bastards..

thats the only thing i had to take off.

nd55
21-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Hey Guys,

Could I confirm that the TDM X-bar comes with the extended bolts and allows retention of the rear seat in an EK hatch?

Sorry, having a bit of trouble following the thread.

Nick.

Chris S15
22-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Rear seat? or Rear seatbelts?

watchmaker
22-07-2008, 12:48 PM
yes it should come with the bolts to retain seeatbelts..
its not extended bolts, they're allan key bolts to fit inside the bracket of the Xbar

nd55
27-07-2008, 10:04 PM
> Rear seat? or Rear seatbelts?

I'm hoping to keep both seats and belts.
Headrests aren't an issue.

Anyone got close up pics of the mounting assembly? Both strut tops and seatbelt mounting points.

Nick.